The Nelson A & P Association was founded in 1893. Its core objectives at that time were to promote and encourage agricultural and pastoral activities.
Over one hundred and seventeen years later the Nelson Agricultural & Pastoral Association is still proudly carrying out these objectives. The A & P Association owns approximately 40 hectares of land situated in Lower Queen Street in Richmond within the Tasman District of the Nelson Region. The Park is bounded by Queen Street on the south, the Estuary on the north, a number of private properties on the eastern boundary and on the western boundary the land is owned by the Nelson Harness Racing Club. While the Park is predominately owned and run by The Nelson A & P Association, both The Association and The Harness Racing Club utilise each others facilities for the seamless formation of one large park.
Back: A. Gibbs, F. Best, C. Ching, G. W. Best, J. Best, C. Challies, P. Higgins, V. Clayden, T. Holland and J. Ching.
Middle: J. Jellyman, W. Kerr, H. Coleman, John Glen (secretary), John Hagen (president), J. E. Bartlett, G. Talbot, W. Coleman. senr., H. Lankow, and J. Hunt.
In Front: G. Chisnall, N. Win, Hayes Croucher and T. Chisnall.
(A. & P. Officials Thirty-One Years Ago- Some Are Still in Office. 18 November 1938. The Nelson Evening Mail. p.8)